Pages

Monday, June 27, 2011

Tha..that..thats...that's all folks! :)

So, here we are, the moment all of you have been waiting for, my last assigned blog documenting my first international adventure.

I just had my wisdom teeth extracted this morning (my "welcome home!" present from the dentist) and while my face is completely numb I thought this might be a good time to stop all the chit chat and take a moment to reflect about my trip. Not only is it a required assignement for our class, but it also gives me something to do since I've become a mute. Overall, I must say, I had a great time. Before I left, a lot of people told me, or warned me rather, that this experience would come as quite the "culture shock" for a little naive Iowan girl like me, and to them I simply replied, "Good. Shock me." For so long I had felt cooped up, feeling like I was living a sub-ordinary life, all the while bursting at the seams just thinking about what extraordinary could be. I had a lot of high hopes and expectations for this trip because it was my first time abroad and I wanted it to be fantastic. Because of that, I think the self-fulfilling prophesy came into play during the first week, when I thought everything was amazing and beautiful. Since I wanted it to be perfect, it was. "Apples never tasted so good!" I had a sense I was standing on the edge of Lake Wobegon, where all the women were strong, all the men good looking, and all the children were above average.

But once I woke up from the haze of awe from our first week, I started noticing some serious flaws in the program. I've already filled out the course evaluation and survey so there's no need for me to give my critiques or suggestions on this platform, but I would like it known that not every day was filled with peaches and rosebuds. I do, however, believe in selective memory. And I'm choosing to remember, and will forever continue to highlight, those events which had a positive impact on me. For example, I was able to communicate with some of the nation's most influential educational leaders, not only about their institutions, but also about their visions for the future of Indonesia. You can't do that everyday. I had the chance to visit all 33 original provinces at the National Park, where I got to experience the lives of the indigenous people, and even pet a monkey. You can't beat that! I was able to build lifelong connections and friendships with 7 of the most talented and driven students I've ever met. And I was given a complete sense of independence and freedom. You can't take those away from me. Looking back, even after a week, the experience has not lost its luster. This 2 week trip taught me so much about myself and increased my desire to know more about the world around me. I will remember our culture trips to The Park, going down the zip line "Flying Fox" and sneaking out of the museum to ride an angdong with Bettina. But most of all, I'll remember our warm welcoming in Indonesia, and each and every one of the 8 crazy characters in our tight-knit group :)

(I will, of course, make a mental note of all the oversights and downfalls we experienced, I am Leo's daughter for crying out loud...but there's no need to keep those in the forefront of my memory :) )

I've been back in the states almost a week now and spend most of my free time (aka: when I'm not sleeping, eating, or icing my face) on the Study Abroad website. "Mary, don't get carried away now...you don't need to be planning 3 more trips abroad before next July! I find that a little excessive!" ..does that sound like Leo or what?! He's just excited to have me home.. As you can tell, I am very excited about traveling. I've been bitten by the travel bug and am looking into every opportunity to chase this addiction. But having a student's bank account, that 3 week stay in Brazil this winter break may have to remain on the back burner for now..

That now completes today's program, and this summer's blog. Thank you all for tuning in.
See you next time :)

1 comment:

  1. Yeah! Welcome home and glad it was everything and more than you had hoped it would be! I've enjoyed reading your blogs so much that I hate to see the adventure end (Maybe a travel blogger career is in the works?)....So perhaps instead of "That's all folks" maybe "Until the next adventure"? :) Anxiously awaiting your next one....

    ReplyDelete