Pages

Friday, June 3, 2011

Hello World :)

Hello my trusty followers. This is just the first of many posts about my trip to Indonesia this summer. I’m traveling with the Educational Leadership and Policy Studies program at Iowa State. On this 2 week guided educational and cultural tour, we will be able to experience Indonesia first hand. The course will emphasize how international education affects U.S. education and institutions of higher education.

My first duty was to get immunized. I forgot how much I hated needles until I had to get a Flu shot and a Hepatitis A vaccine. For any of you who are thinking about traveling abroad in the near future, make sure to get your vaccinations done early to ensure thorough protection.
In preparation for our trip, we’ve been given a lot of reading about Indonesian politics, culture, education, and religion. Not only are we learning about this foreign nation, but we’re also expected to teach a lesson to our Indonesian friends about American culture. My assignment, thankfully, is to present on American Music. Anyone who knows me can attest to my affinity for music, especially 80′s power ballads. But I think for this assignment, I’ll try to touch on a little bit of everything. From legendary groups like the Rat Pack and Temptations to comtemporary sensations Lady Gaga and Justin Beiber, I’ll give the Indonesian students a taste of some of the most popular and influential artists in America.

1 comment:

  1. Hey Mary! This is Big Brother.

    Teaching about popular American music...How did you get roped into that assignment? :-p

    And who are some of the popular Indonesian artists the locals talk about?

    I hope all is well in southeast Asia.
    Love, Andy

    ReplyDelete