Pages

Tuesday, June 14, 2011

But I don’t play basketball….(6/14/11)

How do you survive in hot humid weather all day, a 3 hour traffic jam, only to come home to 20 cockroaches? How do you go 2 weeks without plugging in appliances, without warm any water, and without proper drinking water? How do you live in a country where you don’t know what you’re eating and you can’t speak the language? I’ll tell you. You only need 3 things: adaptability, a positive attitude, and a pocket dictionary/translator book. As long as you have those three things you can go anywhere and do anything. I’ve heard a lot of complaining on this trip but I would like to take a moment to say that I have loved every minute here.  And what’s more, Indonesians rarely get to see and interact with foreigners. It’s not a tourist attraction, so the locals are surprised, amazed, and curious about us. We represent America to them. My 7 colleagues and I have the chance to make a positive impression on this rising nation, so we must make the most of it. We have met with a lot of important people, not only in the University but also from businesses in Jakarta, and it has been an honor to represent the States and to discuss what our country has to offer Indonesian citizens. Our two main goals are to get more Indonesian students to attend ISU, and to develop programs in Indonesia to help them improve their teacher education programs, preferable by the instruction of ISU’s education department. But classroom education shouldn’t be our only focus here.  We’re not here for the weather, scenery, food, dorms, etc..We’re here to represent the country of the United States in the best light possible. And not just when we’re in the conference room, but constantly. If we want to improve the relationship between Indonesia and America let’s act like it! I want to show that Americans are more than our stereotypes, and that I’m willing and able to learn about and adapt to this culture. For example, my roommates and I have been practicing bahasa Indonesia daily, which is impressive to any Indonesian. Adaptability, a positive attitude and a pocket dictionary. The willingness to learn, a pleasant smile, and some phrases like, “Halo. Nama saya Mary Hallman. Apa Kabar??” and “Senang bertemu anda!” are all it took for me to get my foot into the door with school officials around Jakarta. I’ve even had a couple job offers already. Do I want to teach English in Indonesia?? Do I want to help promote USAID?? Maybe not now. Maybe never. But if the time is ever right, at least I’ll have a couple contacts I can turn to. I don’t say this to brag. I mention it to show that it can be done and that you shouldn’t piss and moan through every negative experience. I have thoroughly enjoyed my first week in Indonesia, and am very excited to see what unfolds in our last few days here. J
If you’re wondering about the title of today’s blog, I’ll explain now. We visited a public high school where we were welcomed with traditional songs and dances from the various islands of Indonesia. We had a panel discussion so the kids could ask Professor Hagedorn, and any of us, any questions they had regarding Iowa State or just higher education opportunities in America. The whole day went very smoothly…until we were ending our visit. One of the teachers came into the lounge where we were meeting with the Vice Principal, and said “the basketball team is ready”….as if that was supposed to mean something to us. Turns out, everyone here thinks all Americans are good at basketball. (I mentioned earlier that it was my goal to change people’s perceptions about Americans…so I had to take this as another opportunity to break the stereotypes). We taught them knock out; and our little USA group wasn’t that bad. Most of you would be surprised to hear this…but I was the last standing girl on the court. :O What?! Can she be serious??..I only speak the truth friends. It was a little comical trying to do lay-ups in a dress and heals while still remaining ladylike, but hey, I’m trying to be a Renaissance woman here people. You just go with it. Adapt, and smile. When all else fails…get out your buku saku.

No comments:

Post a Comment