Pages

Sunday, June 12, 2011

Talk about Jet Lag! (6/6/11)

Don’t worry parents. I’m alive. We just haven’t been able to access the internet for a while. But here’s what all of you have missed since my last update.
Surprisingly, the plane ride wasn’t as grueling as I expected it to be. From Chicago to Seoul, we spent 13 hours and 20 minutes at 35,000 ft. It wasn’t that bad since they had many movies, shows and electronic games to keep you busy. Dad, I almost watched “Sunset Blvd” in your honor. But instead, I spent 2 hours playing Free Cell trying to set new records. You wouldn’t believe it, but there was one game that I didn’t have a 2 of clubs. How can you finish a game of free cell without a 2 of clubs?...Easy answer, you can’t. But other than card games and mediocre comedy films, I spent a little time chatting with the fellow next to me. He seemed to know his way around the electronics and all the complementary materials, and could tell that my seat mate and I were first time flyers. He was very helpful, and after a while we really got to know each other. Turns out, he was returning to his homeland of the Philippines to start a pediatric practice there. He had been working as a nurse in the US for a while, and has also worked in the health care jobs in the Middle East and throughout Southeast Asia. I asked him which working environment was his favorite or, in his words “the best” and he said without question, the *Oyem* system in the middle east. There, people paid a flat rate for each procedure, and there aren’t separate hospital charges, doctor fees, and the medication is “relatively cheap; much more affordable.”
So AFTER learning about this man’s entire life history, we parted ways and our group started our final leg to Jakarta. I slept most of that turbulent 7 hour flight. Once we landed, we were welcomed by Dr. John Mewburn of the President’s University. All of our chaperones and helpers are extremely kind and generous. Our luggage was taken care of for us, and upon arrival we were given clean water and a box of snacks. We are all very appreciative for the help and assistance given by everyone here. Our first night in Indonesia was made very comfortable, but my roommates and I couldn’t sleep, partly due to the time difference, but mostly because we were so excited about finally being here!

No comments:

Post a Comment